Quilting

Sunny Chevron Quilt pt. 1 – Quilt Top

Hi all! Today I wanted to show you what I have been working on for the entire month of February! Which is my very fist quilt πŸ™‚

I knew I wanted to make a quilt since I first saw the amazing designs on Polkadot Chair’s blog. Before making a really good quilt though, I wanted to make a “test quilt” with affordable materials to see if I would enjoy the process and to get familiar with all the terms and technique.

Quilting is really different from garment sewing. What I found most difficult is working with such tiny seam allowances. And working on the bias – but that could also be due to the “affordable” materials I chose πŸ˜‰

I picked the Sunny Chevron baby quilt from Piper’s Girls as this looked like pretty straightforward patchwork without it being “boring squares”. I picked some matching fabrics at the market, all complimenting the cute Volkswagen fabric that I bought online years ago.

Here’s the colourway for the quilt – very “boyish” but I just loved the mint and teal together! The light fabrics have a tiny gray stars print.

I followed the excellent directions on Piper’s Girls tutorial. I cut 80 squares of the main fabric and accent fabrics, then drew a line diagonally. I intentionally flipped some of the Volkswagen fabric around because I wanted a criss-cross design.

Then I stitched them together using the 1/4″ quilting foot, chainstitching them. I think chain stitching is the most useful trick I learned from quilting that I am also using for garment sewing now.

I had 20 of each colour, and a little more of the Volkswagen so I could play around with the pattern direction.

Laying out the design was quite difficult, but I just decided to repeat the same rows over and over again.

After finishing the design I went back in and mixed up some of the Volkswagen pieces for a randomized effect.

I numbered every row with washi tape and pencil, then started stitching the blocks together.

Once the rows were done, I stitched them together to form a top. NOW you can really tell my fabric was not of good quality. Especially the beige anchor fabric just kept warping on me. I used a walking foot but found it hard to keep true to the 1/4″ seam allowance that way. For quilting, I can really see how a machine with a built-in walking foot would be very useful!

Another really difficult thing was pressing. I had such a struggle pressing this quilt top. Next time I will do half the rows, press, then stitch the other rows separately, press, and join them in the middle.

But after a long time I got it right πŸ™‚

My first quilt top is done! Honestly from cutting to this point took me about 8-9 hours. It was such a labor intensive job! But I’m happy with how it turned out πŸ™‚

Next week is part 2 where I make the quilt sandwhich, struggle with machine quilting and do the one thing I was actually good at – hand stitching the binding.

See you next week!
~ Mardie

3 thoughts on “Sunny Chevron Quilt pt. 1 – Quilt Top”

Leave a Reply to Sew Mardie Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.