Hi, long time no see! I took a sewing break over summer due to the heat, but this week I’m back with a cute and simple project.
I made this wrap dress out of two meters of bee fabric I scored at a fabric market in Leiden. The fabric is really cute and breathable yet it was only €5 a meter!
I used my basic bodice block to draft a pattern for the top. Well, draft – I just copied the block pattern on pattern paper and scooped out the neckline. The bodice has princess seams and a short sleeve. This is now my 4th basic bodice and finally I feel the fit is absolutely perfect!
The skirt itself are two rectangles of about 60cm wide. I draped the skirt wrap panel on the dummy and basted the pleats in place. Then I cut the circular hem to shape, hemmed it and basted it to the front skirt panel.
The back of the skirt was gathered to fit the bodice. In the front I just stretched the skirt a little to make it fit, but next time I want to insert an elastic waistband to improve the fit in the front.
I finished the neckline with a bias binding that I turned inward fully and stitched down with twin needles. This creates a nice and stable neckline without the need for interfacing. However as it’s quite thick it’s only suitable for thinner fabrics.
This is all for this week, I didn’t take many pictures of the process but I am very happy with the result! I had to retire my ginko dress as it had rubbed so thin under the arms that it was time to recycle it. So now I have another dress in my tiny handmade wardrobe!
Thanks again for reading,